Up
Down

Thursday, December 10, 2020

 


Best birthday of my life was my 18th, that morning, on the emptyV, they played that Green Day song about the time of your life followed by Semisonic's Closing Time, which was peak morning Carson Daily music for 1998. That day, it got to damn near 60°, I remember, after school, going to volunteer at the Boys and Girls Club and a fellow volunteer offered to take me to the Taco John's for food because it was my birthday and I didn't want her to get me anything because 18 year old Tom was a fucking asshole without a clue. She insisted, so I had her get me some churros. I went on my first date with her later that month. It went as well as most of the other first dates have gone in my life... But that day was still fucking excellent. I measure all other birthdays against that one.

I live in a different part of the state now, where the winters are far less harsh, possibly because of global warming, possibly because the lake that's my neighbor.

My 40th birthday, I had always told myself I was going to kill myself. I had it all planned out, I would douse myself in gasoline and strike a match on a street corner and stop traffic, telling everyone how much I hated them. Today in Milwaukee, it was approaching 60°. I have a job that's not awful. I haven't been on a date in over four years, I drink too much, I'm disabled, I have no friends, no pets, I live alone in a shitty apartment with an old-ass upstairs neighbor who runs his wet/dry vac at absurd hours and drops every god damn thing he picks up, but still the prospect of lightning myself on fire didn't appeal to me. Sorry, Winston Churchill.

I've legit contemplated killing myself, as was the plan, but, to make an excuse, I finally found a job that doesn't suck complete ass, and there's a woman with fucky colored hair at the bougie groucery tore I get sushi on Friday nights for Friday night Anime night @ home who compliments something about my appearance every time that I'm going to give my number to tomorrow night and maybe I shouldn't kill myself before then. Possibly after, we'll see.


said Tommy T. at 8:46 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader