Up
Down

Sunday, October 04, 2020

 
I FUCKING DID IT!!!

I talked to my high school crush who friended me on facespace? Lol, fuck no! Let's live in reality here, though I've had some weird fucking dreams as a result of it. I blame the nightly melatonin. When I say "weird fucking dreams" there's no fucking at all, let's stay firmly planted in reality, melatonin or not. No, I got a job offer for a company whose values align with mine while I already have a job. I've been the kind to quit a job without any backup plan, which fortunately hasn't bitten me on the ass, but I've been working this contract for a shitty bank the past few months and it's been a complete clusterfuck of a shitshow. At every turn, they say they didn't plan on there being the work that we're being handed, leaving me to question what exactly they did plan for, because it appears tht they planned for a completely uneventful takeover of this company's IT department, which is wishful thinking, at best, and comically shitty planning, at worst. I applied for this position with the progressive spice company, laughing at the futility of filling out an application that asks me what my favorite spice of theirs is and giving them the full details of my disability, which I never give anyone.

To my surprise, I get a phone interview that goes better than any phone interview I've ever had. I discuss the fact that I'm a home chef, and that my favorite show in the world is Great British Bakeoff and that I cook recipes they do on the show and I always imagin Paul Hollywood absolutely shitting on my finished product, telling me it's got a soggy bottom, it's stodgy, and the worst example og baking he's ever seen. After our interview, I send out a thank you email, thanking my interviewer and mentioning how I'd be exceptionally proud to work for this company because I absolutely believe in everything their CEO is about.

I somehow get a second interview that's relatively short and I mention the fact that I've spent my quarrantine year working on some projects on my home network to eliminate ads completely from websites I visit.Afterwards, I send another thank you follow up and I somehow get a third interview that goes absolutely pear shaped. Or so I though.

Days later, I get asked for an in person interview, which I assume is all for show after the previous phone interview and how absolutely off the rails it felt it went. When I show up to this interview, I find that it's less an interview and more a "Hey, we're going to tour the area you'll be supporting to make sure you feel up to this" and culminating with "I'm going to talk to my management and you should hear something next week."Next day, I get a voicemail late afternoon from the original interviewer, sounding very chipper, asking to speak with me. I try caling her back, but it' late in the afternoon on a Friday. Her message said she'd be working Saturday and I could reach her then. I spent Friday night figuring I'd be calling on Saturday for a rejection that was going to ruin my weekend. I did my early morning grocery shopping, which is how we do thing in the quran-times to avoid the anti-mask nut-jobs, then call the interviewer after putting away all the groceries as slowly as possible to avoid what I perceive as the inevitable. We talk and I get the congratulations and the information about a salaried position that gives me a 10% raise, benefits, and a paid holiday on election day in America(!), even though I will have voted long before then. I thank the interviewer profusely and let her know that my mom is my next call to tell her the good news and how excited I am to start the job.

It is now Sunday, and I'm happy to say this is the first time in a very long time, years, actually, I'm not experiencing the Sunday scaries where I dread waking up on Monday morning. I'm wondering how I'm going to word my resignation to united states bank, and I'm curious if they accept my two weeks notice or if they let me go on the spot. I'm good with either scenario, I could use two weeks to myself to prepare for an awesome new job, and to get in the right headspace to be an excited worker bee for a company I trust and value, and whose product I use on an almost daily basis. I'm about two months shy of turning 40, and I finally feel like a accomplished adult.


said Tommy T. at 6:17 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader