Up
Down

Monday, January 01, 2018

 
2017 wasn't a bad year, but it wasn't a great year, either.

I saw the Descendents live, something I had been hoping to do for 18 years and it was everything I hoped it would be. They played pretty much their entire catalogue and were able to rock pretty well for a bunch of old guys.

I traveled to Toronto to see the band Sigur Ros, which proved to be the best vacation I've ever had and the most amazing concert I've ever seen. And, true to form, as soon as the handbell choir opener played Staralfur, I started crying because that song moves me to tears every time. It was hard to leave Toronto because their public transit system was incredibly convenient. Like I wish we could have that here. And I ran into chef Chuck fucking Hughes on a steet cornerin downtown Toronto! Since I got back, I've been saying that as soon as Trump implements the death camps, I'm fleeing to Toronto. I'd like to believe PM Trudeau would be okay with taking in American refugees in that situation. Quebec City, however, remains my zombie apocalypse bug out destination.

I lost my job this year. My job in Milwaukee was eliminated and I was offered to be relocated to Kansas City. Their number to relocate me was nowhere near the number I'd consider taking to leave Milwaukee. This place is my home, the first place I've ever been where I feel like I fit in, and god damn anyone who tries to make me leave.

Rather than move, I took the generous severance package option. A few weeks later, my best friend visited from Alaska, got me drunk, and convinced me to go to Alaska for a week. I hadn't seen dude in five years, so it was cool to go visit and meet his kid and his wife and see that his dog was still alive and happy and still puts his snout directly into your crotch. I also had long layovers in Seattle, so I got to spend time there again and it turns out I still love it there.They've got a light rail now that makes getting around pretty easy and it's pretty cheap, $6 for a day pass, so I was able to do and see things I missed last time I was there. I'd still love to live there, but I don't think it's time yet. My buddy wants me to move to Alaska,but there's no way, the place is too far removed for me, which is really saying something. You're able to drive from one end of the road to the other in an hour.I mean, the road just fucking ends. The only way to get things there is by plane or boat, which makes shit expensive. I guess they pay well up there to make up for it, but I can't handle the fact that the sun rises at 8:30 in the morning in the winter and it starts getting dark at 3pm. I already despise winter, that place would be hell for me.

For 2018, my priorities are to get a job, not drink at all until the job happens and to get myself to a point in my life where I'd feel comfortable actually trying to date.I spent 2017 avoiding dating at all, which makes it sound like it was a difficult thing. It was not. A couple weeks before the New Year, I activated my profile on the app where women have to message the guy first because I wanted to see if the landscape has changed much. Nope. Still loaded with women whose bios contain such choice morsels as "love to have fun" and "hobbies include: Netflix, sarcasm and the oxford comma". My new favorite, though, was the one whose bio read "My sarcasm is so dry, sometimes my friends think I'm an asshole, but I'm not, though!" That complete lack of self awareness was from a woman well into her thirties, not some 23 year old because I've got my filters set realistically. I want to get to a place where, were I able to actually form sentences around the little curly haired girl, she'd actually enthusiastically say yes to a date with me. I don't know how to get there, but I'm going to try to figure it out.

2018 was supposed to be the year that I bought a condo. I've got enough saved to plunk down a 50% down payment on a place at the top end of my budget, but that's now going to get used to keep me alive and sane while funemployed. I live comically below my means, so I could be fine for quite a while, if need be. I hope it need not be. Unfortunately, I'm over the entire I.T. field. The whole having to find a new job every couple years is annoying, especially as I'm hurtling towards 40, so not only do I have to worry about being discriminated against for having a disability, I'll soon have to worry about being discriminated against because of my age. I don't like those odds. I'm pretty jealous of the job stability the accountants at my old job had. The most of their worries seem to be whether or not the printer was going to cooperate and whether or not the lady who refuses to retire at 75 bathed in perfume again today.


said Tommy T. at 12:21 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader