Up
Down

Monday, May 30, 2016

 
One of my favorite parts of summer is a thing in my neighborhood they call "punk rock baseball" where anyone who wants to joins in at the park down the street from my place to play a pickup game of baseball. Everyone brings what they're able to, be it food, thirty racks of cheap beer or just themselves and a glove ans some sunscreen and they divvy up teams and play a full nine inning game in the afternoon with other out of shape, bearded drunks.

Because I can neither use my catching hand nor run, I sat in the stands for the memorial day edition while sipping a beer with the other hoi polloi. The conversation around me was about how this person was currently unemployed because of a health issue and they're thinking about getting a new car. Another had a car for sale for "eight". The original person said "I don't even have $8 right now. I'm trying to get back on food stamps. I just spent my last money on some Four Locos for this." And here I am, drinking an $8 beer from Whole Foods , hoping no one sees that I'm not drinking a Bud Light Lime, thinking about how it's been a while since I drank a beer and thought being hungry. I've got a slow cooker of marinara sauce going that required some wine. It's been a while since I drank malt liquor. Am I just some sort of poseur hanging on to my misspent youth? I'm at a point in my life where I'm very seriously looking at buying a house or a condo and planning more elaborate vacations than going "up north" to central Wisconsin to camp.


said Tommy T. at 3:01 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader