Up
Down

Monday, October 21, 2013

 
Since it was ten years ago that the House of Hoss assembled, that means it was ten years ago that my buddy and I went halfsies on the Center Ice cable package that gave us every televised hockey game every night. Even though I worked until late and only was able to catch the west coast games for teams that I completely hate, it was still really cool and something I thought was pretty awesome. Since then, I've equated being successful with getting that that package again. I've wanted to be able to take the opening day off of work, make a feast of snacks for friends, invite them over and have a party not unlike get togethers featured in beer commercials during football games. It's never happened, though because either financials never allowed it or because the league was on strike.

This year, I decided to go all in on the local minor league team's season ticket package, which costs equivalent to a year's worth of cable television(going on idea that it costs $50 a month for cable, which I don't know is a realistic figure, not having had cable television for nine years), or far less than a month's worth of hospital bills.

They had the meet-up about two weeks ago for season ticket holders to get their tickets and to meet the team, which I thought was pretty neat. The thing that stood out the most to me was how small the team was. I mean, they're tall dudes, but they're not muscular. Not a one of them looks like a mean goon enforcer who's going to beat the shit out of someone who overstepped their bounds. I also noticed that most of the ticket holders were big people. Not muscular or all that tall, just big. They packed away sandwiches like crazy, keeping the waitstaff busy.

I was a little nervous for the home opener on Saturday because I didn't know what to expect, even though I've been to a few of their games in the past. I was nervous about who was going to be sitting next to me because I've got my seat for all the home games until April, so whoever is sitting next to me is probably also a ticket holder and will be next to me for all those games.

The dudes around me seem awesome enough, akin to the Rowdy Crowd I participated in at the college team's hockey games back home, just a little less offencive. It looks like it's going to be a good season. The two seats to my right were both open for the first game, but my seat is in a pretty good spot, five rows up from the glass at about the bottom of the face off circle on the side of the ice the home team attacks in the first and third period, so close enough to taunt the other team's goalie. Unfortunately, I've also got the netting in front of me so I won't be catching any of the t-shirts launched from the t-shirt cannon by the mascot or thrown from the pirate ship. I also won't be getting a stray puck to give to the nearest kid. But, I found out I need to get a cowbell because that seems to be the thing you need to make noise.


said Tommy T. at 6:16 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader