Up
Down

Friday, August 30, 2013

 
I can't sleep because it's still too damn hot in my house, so my bed is uncomfortable. But I realized that this weekend marks ten years since I moved into the House of Hoss with five other dudes living under one roof with two fridges, one for food and one for beer. Monday is the ten year anniversary of my first beer and my first "Bottoms up to better days". I shudder to think of all the beers that have followed.

When I moved in there ten years ago, I was working a shitty job at the potato factory that I call shitty but was actually rewarding because I worked hard and had something to show for it at the end of the day, if only extremely messy clothes and work boots that my dog loved to lick clean. At the time, I worked as much as possible because I didn't have anything better to do. They'd ask me to work on Saturday, which meant working in the washroom alone, feeding five trays at a time into a twenty foot long tray washing machine, running to the other side, and catching them before they hit the ground. They appreciated the work I did, but the third shift guys hated it because I worked well enough that they had nothing to do when they came in. I saw the old lumberjack hippy I used to work with, Al, about a year ago before moving to Milwaukee. I saw him and his wife in Wal-mart, but I didn't say anything to him because I didn't want him to see me like this. I was glad he still had his goofy Indiana Jones hat with the feather in it. That dude still came to work while he was getting chemo for prostate cancer. He came in to work with a busted ass, worked as hard as he could and then left with a busted ass. Awesome dude.

Fortunately, it's a payday week, so that means celebratory cigar that I'll smoke at the co-op picnic on Monday that I'm making blueberry salsa for, along with BLT potato salad that no one will eat because of the bacon and mayo components but I couldn't find vegan friendly potato salad that still sounded edible. And the terrible co-op softball team is playing pick up games, which will be enjoyable to watch.


said Tommy T. at 5:11 AM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader