Up
Down

Monday, June 24, 2013

 
Another reason why I like this new job: I started my third week and still wasn't given desktop admin rights, making it difficult to do my job because it's impossible to install software without admin, makin the imaging process difficult. At my old job at the paper mill, I would have had to go to the angry fat guy to make these rights happen, listen to him bitch about how someone, probably him, should have filled out a security request to make that happen ahead of time and then have him not give my those rights because he doesn't have the security request in hand and doesn't want to take the time to make it possible to perform my job, despite the fact that it's only a couple of right clicks within the software he already has open.

My trainer and I realized I didn't have these rights yet, so we sent one email to our supervisor stating that I needed this to do my job and we were willing to fill out any paperwork to make this happen. This supervisor is in charge of the group that grants those rights, so he sent out a broadcast asking why I didn't have them yet. They granted me these rights within five minutes and said someone would have to follow up with some sort of security request. So, within five minutes, I was able to do my job again without my trainer logging in as himself for me.

I'm all for following protocol and I understand why we use those security requests so that there's a paper trail to show why a certain user has access to something. In my dealings with the angry fat guy, when posed with just such an issue where a user was unable to perform their job because they couldn't access something, I granted them access, and then told then I'd require a security request be filled out, which I helped them fill out before they left my office with instructions that I'd need that request signed by their supervisor saying yes, they need that access. All were happy. Angry fat guy never did the step of filling out the request with the user and instead would bitch to the user about how stupid they are for wasting his time and not following what they knew was protocol. They'd angrily leave his office and walk into my next door office and ask me for help, where I knew angry fat guy was listening to see how I dealt with it. In those cases, I couldn't help them because he'd snitch on me for granting the access without security request in hand, so I'd help them fill it out and suggested they get it signed and returned to angry fat guy and not to expet this to happen as soon as he got it because function is not the key with that asshole.I always wanted to talk to that asshole and say "Hey, I realize you hate people, and I do, too, but they're the reason you have a job, so try not to be a cunt and do your fucking job and let them do theirs."

The angry fat guy was a constant sore spot for me and would give me panic attacks thinking about what he was going to bitch about next. It was always something with that guy. Actually having to get up out of his chair and talk to someone was a giant pain in his ass. The dude drank at least two one liter bottles of Mountain Dew a day. If he didn't have his Dew, he was crankier than ever. Because of his drinking habit, he was large and had issues with his throat that his doctor told him were caused by the amount of soda he drank and, if he wanted to stop coughing all the time, he needed to curb his drinking. Not an option.

I frequently think about the angry fat guy because my mom lives across the street from the head of the union at the paper mill who was told that I voluntarily quit my job instead of that I was let go because I couldn't carry fifty pound monitors safely. He let my mom know that I was sorely missed. I think, for at least a little bit, angry fat guy was doing my job, having to deal with people on a daily basis, which is a thought that makes me absurdly happy because it would piss him off.


said Tommy T. at 7:34 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader