Up
Down

Saturday, October 20, 2012

 
God damn, I'm too old for punk rock. I went to my first real show since I can't remember, Gogol Bordello, does a show at a theater with barricades count? Billy Bragg doesn't count, folk singers don't make your ears ring, sorry Billy. I nearly left early to get to this show despite it being down the block from me, but it's a good thing my brother told me this is punk rock and it's Milwaukee, so a show slated to start at 9 didn't start until 10:30.

It seems that I forgot why I love those things. If someone falls, there's no less than five hands there reaching to get them back up. These are my people. I'd forgotten what these things smell like: a portmanteau of B.O., warm beer, salt and is that bologna I detect? I think someone was farting because the bologna smell came in waves and that's not my brand, even after eating the garlic and spinach Gino's East personal pizza. The between set music was all the classic shit I remember playing on my radio show, Stiff Little Fingers, Sham 69 and the like, so I felt at home.

When Nato finally played at 1:15, I was considering going home to bed because 1:15 and five beers is well past my bedtime. Fortunately, I didn't let my oldness take me out. It was odd seeing Amos playing drums for the third band. I haven't seen that dude in four years since he was living in my favorite Appleton punk house by the Tom's drive-in. Dude got a hair cut and that band is completely different than how incredible Tenement is.He looked old with short hair and two weeks growth beard, but we're all getting old now.

While walking home at 2:30, expecting to get jumped between Center and Locust, I was thinking that if this was ten years ago, at that point in the night, as a matter of principle, we'd be heading to Perkins for bottomless coffee and the tremendous(tumultuous) twelve, which I'd eat without guilt or a second thought, chased by an eclair and more coffee. And I be able to wake up early in the morning to watch cartoons and make pancakes, but not now my whole body is stiff, my ears are ringing and I smell like I haven't showered in years. I think I'm too old for this shit. How does Johnny Rotten feel approaching 60?


said Tommy T. at 9:52 AM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader