Up
Down

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

 
With about a week left until Fest finally goes down, I'm both greatly looking forward to it and dreading it.

I'm looking forward because it's my first vacation from this god damn IT job since last year's Fest. I can't wait to feel the warm Florida air, drink the beer with friends both old and new, stretch my limits on how long I can go without sleep, and see exactly how loud is too loud. The fact of the matter is, I need to get away from this shit, I'm running on my empty right now and every day of dealing with morons who can't remember that the password for their email is "password", less and less of me really gives a shit about working on the problems that are larger than "Fix mah innernets!"

The part I'm dreading is the whole coming back to my job thing. Being away from my office that long means the work is going to pile up because, as the first/last/only line of IT support for 250 users, if I don't fix someone's printer, no one does. And I really can't wait for the Tuesday I get back when someone asks me why, when this ticket was put in on Thursday, am I just getting to it now and I explain to them that I just spent five drunken days in Florida watching untold shit-tons of punk rock bands. I can't wait to see the look on their face when I tell them that no one outside of me really gives one shit if they can print or not, and, in reality, I really don't care, either, because I'm tired of being the only one who can read the error message under the blinking red light that tells them they're out of paper.

Last night I walked out of this place after receiving and ignoring emails about two PEBKAC problems that I didn't feel like taking care of retraining them to fix their problems with fifteen minutes left to go in my workday. I just said to myself "Fuck it, I don't care about any of this.", shut my laptop down and walked out, not looking at anyone on the way out the door. I don't know if that's a safe attitude to have, but that's really where I'm at at this point. I'm thinking if I've reached that level of burnout, it's probably time to look for a different place to work.


said Tommy T. at 12:27 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader