Up
Down

Monday, August 24, 2009

 


It was three years ago Friday that I packed all the shit I could carry into a red '79 Cadillac Coupe de Ville a drove myself to Seattle in the hopes that I could start a new life as the most awesome person in the world.

When I hit the Wisconsin/Minnesota border, The Mountain Goats This Year was playing on my CD player and I cried while shouting along to the words because of the incredible feeling of absolute freedom I felt in that moment. Actually escaping Wisconsin, with no intention on ever returning was a day that I never expected would come and it obviously didn't pan out the way I had hoped, but for that moment in time, life was fucking amazing for the first time possibly ever. Liberating. Hopeful. My CD player died five miles later while I was refilling my gas tank at Minnesota prices. I may have sprung for the mid-grade stuff. A '79 Cadillac Coupe de Ville loves her gasoline.

While walking back home from work today, that Mountain Goats song came on the zune and I was taken back to that moment on the Wisconsin/Minnesota border. It was a good feeling. I went back there in my mind, reminded of how I opened the moon roof and flipped off the state of Wisconsin and the minivan behind me, who I'm sure didn't appreciate my gesture. I remembered how wonderful it felt to be free and how, armed with that sense of freedom, I decided that I'd stray from the route my dad wanted me to take out to Seattle which he had AAA plan out for me because I really wanted to hit Darwin, MN to check out the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota. My dad still doesn't understand it when I tell him that, yes, I've seen the world's largest ball of twine rolled by just one man but he doesn't understand why, when I do vacation, I refuse to eat any fast food that could be had back home.

I'm still sad shit didn't work out, that I'm not still living in Seattle and seeing a different band that doesn't suck ass every night, but the thing is, shit's not all that bad since then, even though I did move back. I've got a job, even though I hate it, I go to shows, though Billy Bragg never plays ANYWHERE in the whole midwest. I got rid of my giant Cadillac for a car that's more fuel efficient because it has less trunk space, but I wasn't really using the trunk that could easily hold four dead bodies to its fullest potential, anyways. And there's a girl out there who likes to hang out with me and watch old episodes of Degrassi Junior High, epic win in my book. I just might be awesomest person in the world despite not living in Seattle.


said Tommy T. at 5:50 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader