Up
Down

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

 
It was six years ago today that I packed everything I owned into my Cadillac and drove some 2000 miles to Seattle Washington, the place of my dreams,to give it a go out there. It's still my ultimate goal to make it out there for reals because that place was completely amazing and the drive out there was fun because if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight. I loved Moe's Diner on the Wisconsin border and I still remember singing about how I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me and crying tears of joy at the border before taking a detour to the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota. I fell in love with that town in Idaho named Wallace that's set in the side of a mountain and has a pizza place that makes calzones that stay delicious until Spokane, I even looked for jobs around there earlier this year because that place was so picturesque and it would put me within reasonable distance to Glacier National Park, which is still the most amazing place I've ever been in these United States of whatever. On my way home, I listened to that Fuck was I song many times on repeat before stopping in Blue Earth, MN to see the life sized Jolly Green Giant, just so I could say I saw a life sized Jolly Green Giant. I think of everything that's happened in six years and I don't know if it's even possible for me to live out there, being one handed and all. Moving all my shit cross state was miserable enough a couple weeks ago. A friend reminded me that one can hire movers to move your shit cross country, which is likely more economical with gas at $4 a gallon in the populous parts of this country. I figure I'll keep at it here for a couple years, keeping a low profile so I can save money and not acquire attachments to this place that'll drag me down and anchor me in this dirty city. They tell me that Joe Strummer would have been 60 today and it makes me sad that he's gone because he was my favorite human ever and I never got to meet him. It also makes me sad that my second favorite Clash song was destroyed in that linked article. It lost its urgency with acoustic guitars and my favorite lyric ever I believe in this and it's been tested by research that he who fucks nuns will later join the church, which I can now understand and appreciate because I lived it and it happened, I joined the metaphorical church and lost myself along the way. I'm still working on finding myself, I think living in the city is a move in that direction. As scary and uncertain as this place is, it's my springboard to Seattle, so I'm once again gonna make it through this year if it kills me. If it does ultimately kill me, all I ask is that you cremate me and dump me in the Puget Sound.


said Tommy T. at 8:33 PM - #
|



Get Firefox

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public items from tommytumult tagged with awesometown!. Make your own badge here.
 Subscribe in a reader